Sunday, July 26, 2009

Just life and stuff, ya know.

Hello people of the internet world!
So, I have to say that I would never become a blogger. I had this picture in my mind of teen girls carrying on about boy drama, friend drama, and how "nobody understands me!" (come on though, haven't you ever thought about that) Now you're probably all thinking, "Marcy, then why are you even doing this blogging thing?" Well, I have to say that I have found that not ALL bloggers are hormonal teenagers...there are actually some pretty talented, funny and insightful, people out there in web-land. I don't know if I'm funny or insightful but...I sure am going to try.

Now onto the reasons that I'm diving into this nut-so world of blogging (dun, dun, duuuun). Recently, I've discovered that I want to be a writer. Right now I'm going to school to become a special ed teacher. While I really love working with these amazing kids, I can't see myself doing it for a lifetime. I am a counselor at a special needs day camp and I coach Special Olympics gymnastics. On some days I love what I do and on other days I wonder why I got myself into this. I used to get such great self-gratification out of this kind of work but recently, I've gotten burned out. Instead of getting re-energized from it, I'm just getting tired. I feel like I'm just spreading myself thinner and thinner. Sooooo, I started to do some self-reflection (this sounds so cliche) but I have to say that it was immensely helpful. I started to think about all the people that I admire: Jason Mraz, Tarina Tarantino, JK Rowling, Reese Witherspoon, Annaleigh Ashford... And man, all of their jobs sounded so amazing! But how would I ever achieve that kind of success? And if I can't reach that success, will that mean that I'm just wasting my time at any other job?

I'm sure that lots of other people have faced this same dilemma, because, well, life just does that. It has to be all difficult and frustrating. I kept having this conversation in with myself for a couple weeks. The other day I was in Michael's looking at beads when I found this pendant with a quote on it from the fabulous and iconic Judy Garland. It read, "Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second rate version of someone else." And then it hit me; why was I trying to find a way to imitate someone else's success? What I need to do is embrace and go after my own talents. And so, that's what I'm doing. I want to be a writer. I'm not sure what kind of writer (a fiction author, a journalist, an editor?) but I figure that the best way to figure out all that jazz would be to just try it all. So, alas, I find myself starting a blog.

Why a blog you ask? Well, based on what I've read on other people's blogs, life just sounds a lot more interesting when you post it online. I have no clue why that is...maybe it's because you can edit and paste together parts that you want and omit things you'd rather not revisit. And if you ask me, this has a two fold benefit. Firstly, it's just plain interesting to read other people's blogs (not ALL blogs, but only those that have the blogging gift). I guess it's just the innate human quality that we all want to know each other's business. And secondly, it's just plain helpful. You can organize your thoughts, entertain others, and hopefully it'll help me to figure out all this writing business.

So, I'm hoping that eventually all of this will really take off. But for now, I guess I'm doing it all for my sanity because, let's face it, life in a blog is just plain entertaining (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment