Sunday, June 28, 2009

Our Girl Barbie


Well, it's that time of year again! As you probably know, Barbie turned 50 years old this March and so naturally, this will be the focus of this year's National Barbie Doll Collector's Convention in Washington D.C. This will be the sixth convention that I will be going to. Each year my aunt (and one of my BEST friends) and I attend these conventions. They are so awesome! It's like fantasy week for us. Barbie fans from around the world, one-of-a-kind artists, sellers, and even the fabulous Mattel designers gather in a U.S. city to celebrate our girl for four days. The conventions last from Wednesday through Saturday. Each convention has a theme. The past five have been "We Are Family," "Midnight Masquerade," "Lights! Camera! Barbie!" "Denim to Diamonds" and "Barbie on the Runway." This year's theme is "50th Anniversary Gala" and let me just say, that it's going to be INSANE!

I can't even begin to describe the fun that goes on at these things! There are room sales where all things Barbie are sold out of hundreds of hotel rooms. Each day of the convention consists of a themed meal event where you sit at a table with all of your Barbie friends and receive fabulous table gifts. The themes this year are Beach Party (in honor of Barbie's legendary black and white striped suit), Through the Years (celebrating decades of fashion), Barbie Goes Traveling, and the last night is the Gala. There is also a limited edition convention doll that is given to all conventionees. They go for big bucks on eBay after the conventions....although I love mine and keep them for my own collection. My favorite part of these conventions is the fashion show. The participants create a human-sized version of Barbie outfits and model them for the entire convention group (between 800 and 1100 people) My aunt is a seamstress so our outfits are always amazing! We are know for them amongst the Barbie community. SO COOL. There is also a competition where people can enter one-of-a-kind (OOAK) dolls and dioramas based on a theme or vintage outfits.

Anyhoo...as if Barbie's 50th isn't exciting enough, the local of the event (D.C.) makes it that much better because D.C. is home to the Smithsonian Museums, which in home to one of the legendary pairs of RUBY SLIPPERS!!!! I have yet to see any of the pairs known to exist so this will pretty much be a dream come true!!!!!! I'm so excited that I can hardly stand it!

But here's the thing--I still have SO much to do to get ready! It happens every year. We have a year to prepare and yet everything always ends up coming together at the last minute. And upon all of this convention prep I need to get done, I have to work all week! : ( YIKES!

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment